Monday, September 26, 2011

Butter Chicken...A Spice Mishap.

I finally got to try this recipe this weekend:  http://mehanskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/butter-chicken.html
I searched ALL OVER to find those spices.  I finally found a tandoori masala paste in the Asian section at Schnucks, but gave up on the garam masala and decided to use this paste for both the marinade and the sauce (if anyone knows where to get dry Indian spices, LET ME KNOW).  It would also be awesome if I could just make my own spice mix, but that would require going out and buying tons of spices that I don't have to begin with (=intenseee). Anyway, the paste wasn't as strong by volume as a dry spice mix so I kind of just had to guess on the right proportions.  For this recipe, you make tandoori chicken first, then make a sauce later to simmer with the cooked chicken.  I served it with garlic naan and some coriander basmati rice, and it was quite pretty:

Next time, I will definitely have to up the proportions of the spices.  While it tasted good, it just wasn't as spicy as it should have been.  We added in some garlic salt at the very end to give it more flavor (lol so typical).

On the bright side, my kitchen smelled fantastic from all the different spices!  Om nom nomz.

No comments:

Post a Comment