Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fall is in the Air--Butternut Squash Ravioli with Maple-Sage Cream Sauce

A few weeks ago, I picked up a couple packages of butternut squash ravioli from Trader Joe's.  (love that place, so good and so cheap.)  They've been sitting in my freezer since then because I haven't been able to figure out what to do with them.  Online, you always read about brown butter and sage served with autumn-y foods like pumpkin and sweet potato, but I thought that was too boring so I wanted to branch out a bit.

I did some searching, and found this blog:  http://poorgirlgourmet.blogspot.com/2008/12/butternut-squash-ravioli-in-maple-cream.html   I'm a sucker for cream sauces, so I had to try this.  I decided to combine the butter-sage idea with this recipe, so I ended up adding sage instead of thyme and throwing in a couple extra tablespoons of butter (really health-conscious, right??)  This recipe would probably be really good with 1 cup of creme fraiche instead of 2 cups of cream (a little tangier, but I think it would go well with the sweetness of the maple syrup)  but Schnuck's doesn't carry creme fraiche and I really didn't feel like heading to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods for just one item!  Next time, though.

I don't have any photos, but this turned out sooo good.  The butternut squash was rich and nutty, the sauce was sweet and creamy, and some goat cheese crumbles for garnish gave it a little zing.  Om nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment